Like the two weeks before any big hike, these have been crazy. Without artistry or brevity, here is what’s been happening to make the big hike happen:
- Canyoning trip in Hakuba. Absolutely necessary to prepare for any big hike. Pictures may be forthcoming.
- Backpacking in a valley below Yari-gatake. Hot Springs flowing directly into the river, a view of the ridge/peaks I’ll be hiking from NEXT WEEK.
- Finished my last paper of the semester.
- 3.5 hours of futsal, also essential before a big hike
- Trail running and swimming and Jelly Fish attack
- Most final gear purchases (list forthcoming)
- Read entire Hammer guide to nutrition for endurance athletes – highly reccomended
- Meal planning: recipes and shopping list
- First batch of Chris’s Carbo-Gel w/ Green Tea…so good when it hits your lips
- Made some sweet tyvek chaps
- Made some muffins
- Route finalized, estimated time: 26 days, rough estimated distance: 400-450 km
As you can see, I am not quite paragon of focus. Still left to do:
- Pack 60 zip-lock bags with meals, prepare packages to mail
- Make more power bars and energy gel
- Buy some titanium tent pegs
- Double check packing list
- Keep practicing setting up the tarp until its second nature
- Make a hotel reservation on the over night before I start the trip
- Quality time with the lady friend
- A bunch of little things that I am forgetting
- Another 2 hrs of futsal
- Get drunk one or two times
Wish me luck! I hope to get a couple posts up about my food, route, and gear before I head out. I’ll be holding off on any gear reviews until I get back, see how it all holds up. I’m getting really pumped, a bit nervous, and can’t wait to get on the trail.